Come along with me as I transform my country house into a home my family and I will enjoy for the rest of my life....


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

GARDEN IS BACK...WINTER IS GONE

So I was a little overzealous when I planted my garden during Spring Break.  I have had to cover plants to protect them from Jack Frost....I've had to cut back frost-bitten leaves and stems....but we have weathered the final weeks of hanging-on cold weather.  The early-planted vegetables will now be my late crop while my early crop will be planted this weekend after all possibility of freeze is gone.  These tomato plants against the tin wall faired better with just this bit of north-facing protection.

The Old Farmer's Almanac says to plant above-ground crops on the 19th and 20th of April. Saturday will be the 16th...might have to be close enough to plant the remaining tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, and squash.




Here is a picture of my garden gate.  It is unique, and it is an antique.  My husband designed the garden to accommodate the 6' gate that was brought from my childhood home. 

Things are picking up around here.  My 10-acre field is plowed and waiting patiently for wheat to be planted.  I'm also planning to plant sweet corn and blackeyed peas on one end of the field.  I even have fruit trees ready to plant.  So check back often! 
Anyone with good relish and pickle recipes are more than welcome to share!

Here comes the rain.....



No comments:

Post a Comment