Come along with me as I transform my country house into a home my family and I will enjoy for the rest of my life....


Wednesday, March 10, 2010

ONION SETS AND GARLIC PLANTED.....WILDFLOWERS SOWN

I planted my first batch of onions, Texas 1015's and Reds.  It was a bit monotonous, but I came up with a way to not damage the end of the onion bulb and roots.  I held each one with two fingers at the end.  I planted with my fingers and had a system going by the time I planted FOUR bunches.  Will plant more later so they don't all mature at the same time.

I also planted a bunch of garlic that will mature in the Fall.  I wasn't real sure how I went about planting garlic...so I asked a friend....told her not to laugh.  She didn't...she had to ask the first time she did it too!  You really do plant grocery store garlic!  I had three BIG cloves of garlic.  I separated all of them, dug a trench, and buried them about 2 inches deep and 4 inches apart.  It apparently doesn't even matter which end goes up.  Supposedly it is the EASIEST thing to grow.  We'll see....

 See my "topiary tree" on the right?  I planted wildflowers all out in this area....bluebonnets (my favorite...the State Flower of Texas), Indian Paintbrushes, and all kinds of flowers native to Texas.  Can't wait to take a picture of this same tree with wildflowers abloom! 

These wildflowers, once established, will come back year after year.  This is my goal.  I am planning my ENTIRE landscape with perennials.  BRING ON SPRING!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment