Come along with me as I transform my country house into a home my family and I will enjoy for the rest of my life....


Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"DO YOU HAVE POPCORN SEED? NO, THIS IS NOT A PRANK CALL!"

I am amazed at the heirlooms and different varieties of vegetables, fruits, and flowers available on the internet and even in the local stores.  I'm also amazed that popcorn is a variety of corn...some popcorn is better for eating and some is better for kettle corn.  There is even red corn and dark blue corn and ornamental corn.  I think I'm going to plant all different kinds!  Early May is the time for planting corn....it likes a really warmmmmmmm ground.  So I have a bit of time to decide on the corn varieties.  Any suggestions?

BTW, the clerk at Palmer Feed really did think I was being a smart-elick when I asked if they had popcorn seed.  I thought she might hang up on me.  I had to explain FAST that there was such a thing!

I called the local feed company and they were out of black-eyed peas...also known as cowpeas in other parts of the country.  Surprisingly, most of the seed companies online were out.  I'm a bit surprised that black-eyed peas are THAT popular, but I'm REALLY being pressured to find some. 

My husband just informed me that farmers plant black-eyed peas to put nitrogen back into their farmland...that makes more sense.

Then there are the watermelon.  YUM!  Black Diamond was my family's favorite when I was growing up; but, we have become spoiled and accustomed to the seedless variety.  My mother does, however, frown upon heirloom varieties (her father was a dryland farmer) insisting they lack hardiness.  So, I will also have to plant some tried-and-true varieties. 

If anyone has any ideas on plant selection, I'm all ears!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment