Come along with me as I transform my country house into a home my family and I will enjoy for the rest of my life....


Sunday, May 30, 2010

THE BLACK DIRT IS IN AND THE SAHARA BERMUDA IS PLANTED

I understand why families decide to hydromulch rather than hand-sow grass seed.  But.....because we are people who want to do everything ourselves because labor is so expensive, we decided to go the hand-sow route.  $80.00 for seed versus $2000 at least for hydromulch. 

After doing some research, I decided to go with Sahara Bermuda.  It is supposed to be drought resistant and hearty.  This is important in the rugged West Texas heat.  Worse case scenario....we've lost $80 on grass seed and a couple of weeks with a muddy loblolly.....and we have to call in the experts. 

This is before the black dirt is trucked from a fertile swag in the pasture....













This is after.....
And here is a garden update......everything is growing....we should have our first produce by the end of next week.  Notice the corn stalks in the back left corner....That is CORN on the top. 
I smushed two more gigantic green horned tomato worms.  I picked them...bare handed....from the tomato vine and stepped on them.  It was empowering... ;-)  These grape tomatoes will be the first to ripen.  They are beautiful.
See the damage the tomato worms have done to this plant?  They are really becoming a problem.  What to do......I guess this will be my next research project.

No comments:

Post a Comment