Come along with me as I transform my country house into a home my family and I will enjoy for the rest of my life....


Wednesday, May 12, 2010

MY YARD IS GOING IN....HOPE THE RAIN DOESN'T WASH IT ALL AWAY....

I thought I was going to have to wait another season to get my yard in.  But....after constant wrangling with dirt contractors, we got started today.  Man....everything costs an arm and a leg.  We are providing our own dirt and it is still costing over $3000 to get 8" of dirt on the yard....some contouring work done....and all of our flowerbeds filled.  And the economy is bad?  And we got 4 bids???  Wow!!!

The retaining wall looks great....the flowerbeds around the back porch may need another level of cut stone.  The dirt guys put dirt inside the stair area....but this will be replaced with professionally installed stairs...depending on the price! :-)


All of this dirt work was done in one day...I think the dry-stacked retaining wall is amazing.  Honestly, this was erected by two teenage boys and my husband....back-breaking work that was bid out at $3600.00!  Can you imagine?  Manual labor...teenage boys....$360.00!

Furthermore, the professionals wanted to dig a trench...pour a footer....then build a masonry retaining wall.  The man who rocked my house told me..."retaining walls not built on virgin soil will crack and crumble and your hard-earned money will be wasted."  So we dry-stacked....smart and asthetically appealing to me.  When my home is completely finished, it will look like it has been here for 100's of years....

1 comment: