Come along with me as I transform my country house into a home my family and I will enjoy for the rest of my life....


Wednesday, March 9, 2011

PLANTING ELEPHANT EARS TODAY

Last year I looked everywhere for elephant ears..no luck.  So....I recently purchased several bulbs.  Because elephant ears will not survive the winter, I am putting the majority in a large terracotta planter that I will move inside. 

Because elephant ears are sub-tropical to tropical plants, they need to have shade and they like lots of water.  Many people complain about having shady garden spaces because they are so limited as to what thrives in shade.  While elephant ears don't have blooms, they are beautiful, proud plants that if grown in abundance make for a showcase garden.

Elephant ears like slightly acidic soil; therefore, you might need to adjust your soil.  This is easy....simply add an inch or two of sphagnum peat to the topsoil in and around plants during planting.  Or, you can water your plants several times with a solution of 2 tablespoons vinegar to a gallon of water. This is a great way to adjust pH in container plants.

Some of my favorite flowers that like slightly acidic soil are azaleas, crepe myrtles, and calla lillies.

No comments:

Post a Comment