Come along with me as I transform my country house into a home my family and I will enjoy for the rest of my life....


Thursday, March 10, 2011

PLANNING MY HERB GARDEN

Deciding what kind of herb garden you want is the first step...you can grow medicinal herbs, tea herbs, cooking herbs, or a variety of herbs.  Because I like to preserve much of my produce, I'm going to plant culinary herbs.  There's not a dish to be created that won't benefit from fresh herbs.  Check out this garden club for what herbs compliment what dish. 

As for taking care of your herbs, water if you get less than an inch of rain per week. But once herbs get established, they prefer dryer to wetter. Keep tops pinched back in early summer to promote branching out.

Herbs don't need fertilizing...so you can call yours organic.

Here is the canning book I use.....

This site tells you how to take care of the more common herbs.  Those of us who live in Texas are the lucky ones when it comes to herb gardening because these plants like hot and dry....and we have LOTS of that!

And finally, I will have to have one of these even though I have 135 acres to plant herbs!  It is incredible and a must-have for those with limited space!

No comments:

Post a Comment